Greenwich Village is a western Manhattan neighborhood, bordered by Northern 14th Street, East Broadway, South Houston Street and The Hudson River. There are also many sub-sections of the village Greenwich including the western village west of Sixth Avenue and the meatpacking area on Greenwich Village’s northeast corner. Greenwich Village became regarded as the artist’s paradise in the 20th century, Bohemia’s capital, the center of the new LGBT movement and both the Beat and ’60’s birthplaces of the East Coast. Greenwich Village encompasses Washington Square Park, New York University (NYU) and New College, as well as 2 of New York’s private schools.
The area is bordered on the east by Broadway, the west by the North River and south by Houston Street and north by the north by the 14th. The area is bordered by Broadway. This is largely concentrated in New York University and Washington Square Park. The adjacent areas include the East Village and NoHo to the east, SoHo Square to the south and Chelsea Square to the north. The East Village was once considered part of the Lower East and was never considered a part of the Village of Greenwich.
Greenwich Village ‘s western portion is known as the West Village; its eastern boundary is debated but usually called Seventh or Sixth Avenue. The Far West Village is another sub-district at the western side of Greenwich Village on the Hudson River and Hudson Street on the east.
In the 16th century , Americans named the “tobacco field” the Sapokanikan on the Gansevoort route, which is now the farthest northwest corner on the Hudson River. In the 1630s Dutch and freed African settlers who called Noortwyck (“North District,” means Northwich / Northwick) their settlement were cleared and converted the land into pasture. In the 1630’s, Governor Wouter van Twiller planted tobacco here at his “Farm in the Woods” on 200 acres (0.81 km 2). The English invaded the Netherlands settlement in 1664 and Greenwich Village was founded on land that eventually became the Financial District as a hamlet isolated from the larger city of New York South. During the first black legal revolt in America, in 1644, eleven Netherlands African settlers were freed. All the parcels of land now in Greenwich Village were given.
The village name was first referred to as Greenwich in 1696, in the will of Yellis Mandeville of Greenwich, although the city records were not recorded until 1713. The village was the most frequently referred to as Greenwich. From 1731, Sir Peter Warren began to acquire land and constructed a frame house capable of hosting an assembly session when smallpox made it unsafe for the town from 1739. His building, which lasted until the Civil War, overlooked the North River from the bluff. It is still recognizable by the rowing houses of the mid-19th Century inserted into a quarter that still retain many houses from the book of 1830 to 1837, which lines Perry and Charles, Bleecker and West 4th Streets.
It is the Isaacs-Hendricks House, at 77 Bedford Street (built in 1799, greatly updated and expanded 1836, third stories in 1928). The oldest house remaining in Greenwich Village. When St. Luke’s Church in the Fields came into existence in 1820, it was located in areas to the south of the road (now Christopher Street) that led down the North River from Greenwich Lane (now Greenwich Avenue). In 1822, the outbreak of yellow fever in New York caused people to move to Greenwich Village’s clean climate, in which others were left. In the years 1797 to 1823, the future location of Washington Square was a potter’s field when 20,000 of the poor in New York were buried and remained in it.